Paphiopedilum purpuratum is a species of Paphiopedilum found in Asia.
Plant blooms from winter to spring with a single 10cm wide flower.
Plants are found growing in leaf litter on the forest floor near tree trunks and on mossy cliffs in Northern Burma and Yunnan China at elevations of 1200 to 1500 meters. The area is subjected to high humidity and drizzles from winter to spring and heavy rains from summer to fall.
Plant should be grown in areas with shade and cool to intermediate temperatures. Pot in a well drain mix such as medium fir bark and perlite or sphagnum moss. Keep media open. Water regularly about every four to five day. Reduce watering for four weeks in the fall to induce blooming.
Common Names: The Purple Paphiopedilum
- Cordula purpurata [Lindley] Rolfe 1912
- *Cypripedium purpuratum Lindley 1837
- Cypripedium sinicum Hance ex Rchb.f 1853
- Menephora bicolor Raf. 1836
- Paphiopedilum aestivum Liu & Zhang 2001
- Paphiopedilum purpuratum var hainanense Liu & Perner 2001
- Paphiopedilum sinicum [Hance ex Rchb.f] Stein 1892