Ophrys ferrum-equinum is a plant of the family Orchidaceae that is found in Europe.
Plant is found growning in the grassy meadows of Aegean, Albania, Crete, Greece and western Turkey.
Plant blooms in the spring with 2 to 8 flowers.
Plants prefer well-drained low-fertility soils and areas with partial shade. Plants are very sensitive to the addition of fertilizers or fungicides and transplanting because it kills symbiotic fungus. The plant is usually propagated through seed culture. This species is cool to intermediate growing. Divide plant when flower fades.
Common name:The Horseshoe Ophyrs
- Ophrys andracnitis Bory & Chaub. 1838
- Ophrys corinthiaca Hausskn. 1899
- Ophrys ferrum-equinum subsp. gottfriediana (Renz) E.Nelson 1962
- Ophrys ferrum-equinum var. gottfriediana (Renz) Biel 2001
- Ophrys gottfriediana Renz 1928