Gastrorchis is a genus of large, mostly terrestrial orchids (family Orchidaceae). The genus has about 8 species and is abbreviated as Gs. in horticultural trade.
These species are found in tropical Africa and Madagascar.
The species in this genus are very similar and have been classified as Phaius species. The plants differ by being smaller in size, less robust and having a different floral structure
Plants require shade around 1000 to 2500 footcandles and intermediate to warm temperature requirements depending on the species. Plants should be potted in a mix that retain some moisture such as 40% fir bark, 30% sphagnum moss, and 30% soil. Medium should be kept moist during growing season. When growth matures with hold watering for 3 to 4 weeks. Repotting should be done after flowering. . New plants can be obtained from the old spikes by laying the spike out in sand and half covering it.
The genus is named after the Greek words "gaster" (stomach or belly) and "orchis" (orchid) in reference to the sack-like lip base.
- Gastrorkis Schltr.,1924
- Gastorchis misspelling
- Gastrorchis francoisii Schltr., 1924.
- Gastrorchis geffrayi (Bosser) Senghas, 1984.
- Gastrorchis humblotii (Rchb.f.) Schltr., 1924.
- Gastrorchis humblotii var. humblotii.
- Gastrorchis humblotii var. rubra (Bosser) Bosser & P.J.Cribb in D.J.Du Puy & al., 1999.
- Gastrorchis humblotii var. schlechteri (H.Perrier) Senghas ex Bosser & P.J.Cribb in D.J.Du Puy & al., 1999.
- Gastrorchis lutea (Ursch & Toill.-Gen. ex Bosser) Senghas, 1984.
- Gastrorchis peyrotii (Bosser) Senghas, 1984.
- Gastrorchis pulchra Humbert & H.Perrier, Mém. Inst. Sci. Madagascar, 1955.
- Gastrorchis pulchra var. perrieri (Bosser) Bosser & P.J.Cribb in D.J.Du Puy & al.,1999.
- Gastrorchis pulchra var. pulchra
- Gastrorchis simulans (Rolfe) Schltr., 1924.
- Gastrorchis tuberculosa (Thouars) Schltr., 1924.
22.214.171.124 12:26, March 21, 2012 (UTC)