Catasetum barbatum is a species of Catasetum from South America. DDescription
Like most Catasetums, this plant is epiphytic in wet forests. It is sometimes seen growing terrestrially but is known to flower better epiphytically. It has 16 different lip variations. Male flowers are about 5 cm across.
Plants are found in open lowlands and occur in Trinidad, French Guiana, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, Venezuela, Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia and Brazil. It lives at elevations from 50-1200 meters.
Common Names: The Bearded Catasetum
- Myanthus barbatus Lindl. (1835) (Basionym)
- Monachanthus viridis M.R. Schomb. (1837)
- Myanthus barbatus var.immaculatus Knowles & Westc. (1837)
- Catasetum proboscideum Lindl. (1839)
- Catasetum spinosum (Hook.) Lindl. (1840)
- Myanthus spinosus Hook. (1840)
- Catasetum comosum Cogn. (1895)
- Catasetum brachybulbon Schltr. (1925)
- Catasetum polydactylon Schltr. (1925)
- Catasetum buchtienii Kraenzl. (1928)