Barkeria obovata is a plant in the genus Barkeria.
Plant blooms in the winter with many 2.2 cm wide flowers.
The plants were first shipped fro Guatemala to England and were incorrectly labeled from Hong Kong which caused the species to be mislabeled as Barkeria chinensis.
Plant is found growing from the west coast of Mexico through Central America at elevations of 240 to 3700 meters.
Plants are grown in cool to intermediate conditions in shade. They are usually grown mounted on cork or bark with sphagnum moss. Plants should be watered regularly. Keep the plant in a media that can dry out pretty quickly. The plant can also take dryouts between waterings. Keep the plant in an area with good air circulation. Watering should be reduced during resting season from fall to winter.
Common Name:Obovate Barkeria
- Barkeria chinensis (Lindl. ex Benth.) Thien 1966
- Barkeria nonchinensis [Rchb.f]Schlechter 1914
- Barkeria naevosa subsp. strophinx (Rchb.f.) Halb. 1974
- Barkeria strophinx (Rchb.f.) Halb. 1977
- Broughtonia chinensis [Lindley]Ames 1842
- Epidendrum chinensis [Lindley] Ames 1924
- Epidendrum nonchinense Rchb.f 1876
- Epidendrum strophinx Rchb.f 1876
- Laeliopsis chinense Lindley ex Rchb.f 1882
- *Oncidium obovatum C. Presl 1827
- Halbinger, Fedrico, George C. Kennedy. "The Genus Barkeria." Orchid Digest Vol. 44-2 March April 1980: 56-62.