Barkeria, abbreviated Bark in horticultural trade, is a genus comprising about 15 species
Plants in this genus are distributed from El Salvador, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, and Costa Rica in dry scrub areas.
These are deciduous orchids, which drop their leaves in early winter. They have thick roots and a cane like pseudobulb.
Plants are grown in cool to intermediate conditions with moderate to bright light. They are usually grown mounted on cork or bark with sphagnum moss. Plants should be watered regularly. Keep the plant in a media that can dry out pretty quickly. The plant can also take dryouts between waterings. Keep the plant in an area with good air circulation. Watering should be reduce during resting season from fall to winter.
The genus was first described by Knowles and Wescott in 1838 who named the genus after George Baker of Springfield, England who collected the plants from Mexico. Reichenbach added the genus Barkeria as a section of Epidendrum in 1892. But in 1936 Hubbard and Schweinfurth reunited the genus Barkeria with a section Epidendrum. The genus was then re-examined by Thien and Dressler in 1970 and it appeared that teh genus was more closely allied with Caulathron than Epidendrum.
The genus is named after Orchid enthusiast George Barker
- Dothilophis Raf. 1836
- Pachyphyllum Kunth 1816
- Barkeria barkeriola Rchb. f. (Mexico)
- Barkeria dorotheae Halb.
- Barkeria fritz-halbingeriana Soto Arenas
- Barkeria lindleyana Bateman ex Lindl. (Mexico, Costa Rica)
- Barkeria lindleyana var. lindleyana Rchb. f.
- Barkeria lindleyana subsp. vanneriana (Rchb. f.) Thien
- Barkeria melanocaulon A. Rich. & Galeotti (Mexico)
- Barkeria naevosa (Lindl.) Schltr. (Mexico)
- Barkeria obovata (C. Presl) Christenson (Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras)
- Barkeria palmeri (Rolfe) Schltr. (Mexico)
- Barkeria scandens (La Llave & Lex.) Dressler & Halb. (USA, Mexico)
- Barkeria schoemakeri Halb.
- Barkeria skinneri (Bateman ex Lindl.) A. Rich. & Galeotti (Guatemala, Mexico)
- Barkeria spectabilis Bateman ex Lindl. (El Salvador, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras)
- Barkeria strophinx (Rchb. f.) Halb.
- Barkeria uniflora (La Llave & Lex.) Dressler & Halb.
- Barkeria whartoniana (C. Schweinf.) Soto Arenas
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
- Halbinger, Fedrico, George C. Kennedy. "The Genus Barkeria." Orchid Digest Vol. 44-2 March April 1980: 56-62.